ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE TIMES
Unless agreed otherwise, check-in time is 2 pm and checkout time is 11 am (early arrivals and late departures will depend upon availability of the villa at that time).
Only the number of persons stipulated in the rental agreement may reside at the property as guests.
A 30% non-refundable deposit is due within 5 calendar days of booking the villa. The remaining 70 % must be paid 45 days prior to arrival, and 60 days prior to arrival during the peak season.
Depending on your group we may require a security deposit of up to $1000 USD at our discretion.
For any cancellation made within 30 days prior to the beginning of the rental period, the entire rental amount will be forfeited. For any cancellation made within 31 days or more before the beginning of the rental period, the Lessor will forfeit 50% of the rental amount.
Each guest must have comprehensive travel insurance (including cancellations, flight delays, loss and damage to baggage and other property) and health insurance (including evacuation and repatriation coverage). Liability insurance is also required.
Lessor shall not be responsible for any delay, additional expense or inconvenience caused directly or indirectly by events outside of the Lessor’s control such as civil disturbances, fires, floods, severe weather, Acts of God, and any occurrences outside the control of the Lessor.
Lessor cannot be held liable for interruptions to the water supply, electricity, Internet connection or a breakdown of the swimming pool filtration systems. However, the Lessor will strive to arrange for any such problems to be solved as quickly as possible. It is understood that local standards and conditions (including infrastructure) are often of a less developed nature in a remote resort location than in more urban environments. The Lessor or its representatives will do as much as can be reasonably expected to avoid and rectify problematic situations. Any complaints should be made in writing to the Lessor within 24 hours of the occurrence. No complaints will be considered if made after the departure date.
CONDUCT & BEHAVIOUR
Lessor is responsible for the correct and appropriate behaviour of the guests staying on the property. Should any member of the party behave in a manner considered inappropriate, either the Lessor or the local representative may, at their absolute discretion, ask the offending guest or guests to vacate the property forthwith. No refund can be claimed from the Lessor in such a case. The Lessor or his representative may enter the villa at any time. It is also prohibited to act unlawfully in any way whatsoever and to bring in and/or use/consume any illegal substances. Police authorities will be immediately informed of any offenders.
LINEN & TOWELS
Linen and towels are provided at the Villa.
Rates include 1 airport pick-up and drop-off.
There are personal safes provided in most bedrooms. It is strongly recommended that they be used to store valuable items such as passports, cash, traveller’s checks, mobile phone, cameras, etc. Any valuables left at the property are the guests’ sole responsibility and neither the Lessor nor the staff can be held responsible for any loss or damage of personal property.
DUE CARE AND SUPERVISION/INDEMNITY
Lessee accepts and acknowledges that they are responsible and liable for the safety and well being of all guests and third parties staying on the property during the time of the rental. The Lessee and their guests are required to take due care when residing on the property and be especially watchful of children playing in the gardens, near or in the pool or Jacuzzi. Children MUST be under supervision of an adult at all times when staying on the property. Guests are not permitted to enter the Villa when wet from swimming, as the floors can be slippery. Damage or injury arising as a result shall not be the responsibility of Lessor.
These are non-smoking villas. Smoking is only allowed outdoors.